10/10/2008

10 feet from the water at high tide, hmmm, can’t do this in Calgary!

Eric and I tried to go to bed early on Wednesday night because we had to get up at 0345 in order to catch our flight. Unfortunately we stayed up watching a movie until 2300 and then neither of us could fall asleep. I think our body clocks were rebelling again, they seem to do that a lot lately. But at 0345 the alarm went off and away we went to hustle our butts downstairs to meet Charlie (Terry’s friend and taxi driver) and then over to the apartment to get Terry and Nhan. We were at the airport by 0450 for our 0600 flight and even had enough time to partake of the free breakfast provided in the airline’s lounge. We purposely took the early flight because it’s half price and means you have the whole day to enjoy and explore.

Our flight to Koh Sumui was short and sweet and we reached the island in about 50 minutes. From there we hopped on the ferry for a 30 minute boat ride to Koh Phangan. As we jumped off the boat Terry was immediately bombarded by more friends who were happy to see him but wanted to know why he hadn’t called yet! I started to get the feeling that he knows almost everyone here. One of the friends loaded us in the back of her truck and off we went to find a bungalow for Eric and I. Terry knew of a place his friend had stayed at before and we headed to Woktum Bay Resort. After a little negotiation we had a bungalow for about $24 per night.
The bungalow is up on stilts and about ten feet from the ocean at high tide. We have a great little veranda out front to watch the world from and it’s quiet and relatively remote as there are only about ten of them at this resort. There is a restaurant serving Thai and some Western fair and most importantly a pool to cool off in after your time in the sun. Generally I think it’s paradise!

We spent the rest of the day relaxing and learning how to drive the scooter that we’ve rented to get around town. Eric is fast becoming a pro and I am slowly learning to fear riding on the back a little less. I didn’t think I had issues with bikes after my dad’s experience with them but it turns out they kind of freak me out a little. One more learning experience.

On Friday we woke up at 0830 and ran to the store for some more cell airtime minutes in order to be back in time to catch the Season Opener for the Calgary Flames on the Fan 960. We spent three plus hours sitting on our veranda, watching the ocean, eating breakfast and listening to Peter Mahr give play by play of the Flames DISMAL loss to the Canucks. It was a great and surreal experience for the first period as the Flames were playing well and the day was not hot yet. However, when the Flames went down 0 – 3 early in the second it made me happy I hadn’t had to wake up early to listen. It was a disappointing start to the season but with any luck by Saturday night Calgary time I’ll be listening to them kick some BC butt.

After the game we met up with Terry and Nhan again and headed out for some touring of the island. We saw some beaches, had great homemade ice cream (the pumpkin wasn’t bad), and went to Noot’s Diner (no idea how to spell Noot, but it sounds like hoot) for THE BEST pork ribs we’ve had in a long long long time. I don’t know what she did to them but mannnnnn were they ever good. We also met her son whose name is Boy. I don’t think I’ll name any of my kids that but it really seems kind of brilliant. Eric wants to know what happens when he out grows his name. Boy has a cousin named World.

For dinner we went to a Korean BBQ and stuffed ourselves with as much soup, noodles, veg and all kinds of meat as we could manage. The total cost per person was $3.80. Nhan showed us how to use the cooking fire and plate to make a soup in the bottom while BBQ’ing your meat on the top. I think it’s one of the smartest ways to cook I’ve ever seen and it’s super healthy with no added fats or sauces (except a little hot pepper). Eric and I are already refining our plans for an outdoor Korean BBQ to work off of my parents propane three burner or something similar. I am most definitely doing more of this at home.

I have slowly realized over the last few days that Thanksgiving is fast approaching and we have no plans for it. It`s a very odd sensation. I don`t know what I`ll do without some turkey, potatoes, corn, stuffing and loads of gravy. And to miss out on a family event like that is pretty lame. On the other hand, in the spirit of giving thanks...what the hell am I complaining about!!!!!!!

1 comment:

AndreaJ said...

You just reminded me of how much I love you! I'll eat extra potatoes for you on Monday! Wish I was there...